yoghurt is made by fermenting milk with bacteria. I use UHT soya milk (so I don’t need to steralise) and probiotics from healthspan (a convenient and cheap dry starter).method
- heat the milk to around 50 degrees C (2minutes in a 800W microwave)
- empty a capsule of starter into a small cup and use some of the milk to mix it into a paste. Stir this into the rest of the milk.
- keep warm for 8 hours (around 30 degrees C)
- transfer to fridge to set
- one capsule of probiotics is enough for about 500ml milk.
- I bought a reptile heat mat, and glued it into a cylinder the right size for my jars. This keeps the milk at a nice stable 30 degrees C. Otherwise use an airing cupboard or similarly warm place. A thermos does well too.
- 500ml of yoghurt works out at around 50p.