I got my wiimote to connect to linux yesterday!
- compiling the bluetooth network support as modules. I needed bluetooth, rfcomm, hidp and l2cap. I’m using a thinkpad t42 with builtin bluetooth. The bluetooth adapter is connected to the usb bus, so I also needed hci_usb.
- installed bluez-utils, then with the wiimote on and in discovery mode run ‘hcitool scan’; finds the Nintendo wiimote!
ping:555:$ hcitool scan Scanning ... 00:0A:3A:6B:BD:71 n/a 00:14:51:8C:C4:78 core 00:19:63:1B:15:2F Me 00:19:1D:30:06:CE Nintendo RVL-CNT-01
- the cwiid library ( http://www.abstrakraft.org/), version 0.4.01
- the puredata external ( http://mikewoz.com/index.php?page=pd-stuff).
- the wiimote.pd help shows how it all looks:
Jack + pd + wiimote + freewheeling = remote controlled looping!
Then I started freewheeling and connected that to pd using jack. I controlled the freewheeling overdub button with pd to test and it all works! So that is proof of concept of a wiimote controlled loop setup.
- I’m going to hack up volume control with the wiimote over the weekend
- I want to control master out granular filter
- I want to find out is whether I can get freewheeling to give me status (maybe as a midi message or unix socket) back to PD so I can control the blue lights on the wii to give me status (like if overdub mode is on). I imagine that would be cool for any control surface.